If your student visa is due to expire and you intend to extend your current course, you will need to renew your student visa before it expires.
Before applying for a CoE, you must be enrolled in units in the current or upcoming semester or term. Find out how to enrol.
You also need to know your expected course completion date and have the following documents ready for your CoE application:
- a copy of your passport photo page with your full name and passport number
- a copy of your visa page or e-visa
- an Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) policy certificate valid until your new expected visa expiry date – Visit the Department of Home Affairs website for information regarding the length of stay.
If you are a sponsored student (i.e. sponsored or funded by the government in your home country), you must provide a new financial guarantee from your sponsor on official letter head that is valid until the end of your course.
You do not need OSHC if you are:
- a Norwegian student covered by the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme
- a Swedish student covered by Kammarkollegiet
- a Belgian student covered under Reciprocal Health Care Agreements (RHCA) with Australia.