Need a room?

With our wide range of on-campus and off-campus accommodation options available, you're sure to find your new home from home. Whether you're a local or international student, you can contact our accommodation team for assistance finding your new place.

You can also download our Melbourne Accommodation Guide [PDF 3MB] to find out more.

Off-campus accommodation

Living away from campus can be a great way to experience Melbourne, while still having convenient access to Swinburne campus.

Looking for a housemate?

You can advertise your room or property on the Swinburne Housing Database. To advertise, register with us as an accommodation provider. It is free to register and advertise.Once you've submitted your advertisement, it's vetted by our housing team to make sure it meets our standards. You'll receive an automatic notification when we've approved your advertisement. Note: The university reserves the right not to advertise your property on our database. 

To increase the chances of finding a tenant or boarder make sure you provide essential information, including:

  • amenities and facilities, particularly if you're offering a room for a boarder
  • culture and expectations of the house, particularly if you're offering a room in a share house
  • car parking, internet access or anything else that may be a deciding factor for tenants.

The law forbids real estate agents and landlords, who are advertising vacant properties, from specifying the gender or sexual identity, race or religion of future tenants. 

Owner occupiers or share-house tenants can specify qualities including gender or religious affiliation. Swinburne encourages non-discrimination, where possible, and will vet advertisements that don't adhere to Swinburne standards. 

For landlords, boarding houses and shared tenancies

If you're a landlord, or renting out a room in a share house, you need to be aware of Victorian regulations that apply to you. These are key sources of information on the private rental market in Victoria.

For rooming houses

Rooming house providers need to register with their local council. They'll also need to provide their rooming house registration number when they advertise with the Swinburne Housing Database.

Contact Us

We understand that not everyone's circumstances are the same. If you have any questions about our accommodation options, feel free to email Swinburne Student Services or call +61 3 9214 5555 between Monday and Friday 9am to 5pm.

Email us